The Arthur Wood Pottery was based at the Bradwell Works in Longport, Stoke-on-Trent, the premises of Capper & Wood established in 1884 producing primarily teapots, Arthur Wood became sole owner in 1904 trading up until 1928 when the company name was changed to Arthur Wood & Sons Limited and further ranges of tableware were introduced.
In 1967 the company acquired the Carlton Works Pottery and continued manufacturing ranges under the Carlton Ware name. Trading continued right up until 1989 when the company became part of Price & Kensington Potteries.
The application of bold design and modern shapes during the Art Deco period expanded the output of the factory with extensive use of floral patterns and lustre used in the production of various items including pottery jugs, vases, rose bowls and ornaments. The works name was adopted in the trade name ‘Royal Bradwell’ which was used extensively during this period.
Each Arthur Wood tea pot was allocated a four digit pattern number, significant examples being 5525, 6403, 6424 and 6730 or pattern names such as ‘Sandon’.
In the 1960s and 1970s the company changed its focus slightly and began to produce hollowware such as cups, mugs, pots and piggy banks. Arthur Wood piggy banks are highly collectable and desirable items having been produced in many shapes, styles and colourways. Each money box was given a four digit pattern number such as 4968, 5428 and 5122.