In 1890 H.T. Robinson and J.F. Wiltshaw teamed up to trade out of the Carlton Works, Stoke-on-Trent, England. Turnover was huge and varied with production of lustre ware, enamelled decorated china tableware and novelty items being most notable.
Shapes and patterns were developed for the high-end market using rich glazes and gilding. Embossed floral ware was introduced in the 1920s, and the 1930s witnessed production of advertising novelties. There was a purposeful drive to include aspects of nature within the Carlton Ware range of ceramic designs and patterns.
H.T. Robinson left the partnership in around 1910 and the company continued to thrive until the late 1960s when it was taken over by Arthur Wood and Son.