Goldscheider Art Deco Pottery

The Austrian company of Goldscheider are most famous for their Art Deco figurines and wall masks. High quality earthenware and terracotta pieces were modelled by designers such as J. Lorenzl who produced such wonderful figures as the Butterfly Girl (from the 1920s) and Dakon who’s prolific output is also highly collectable today. Other items were also produced such as vases and bookends.

Founded in 1886 in Vienna by Friedrich Goldscheider, the company operated under his widow and brother after his death. From 1920 two sons Walter and Marcel took over the company. 1927 witnessed the formation of Marcel’s breakaway operation Vereinigte Ateliers fur Kunst und Keramik and as a result of political unrest, Marcel moved wartime production to Staffordshire, England setting up a collaboration with the Myott factory. This ran from 1939 until 1950 and pieces produced during this period are marked ‘Goldscheider with Myott Son & Co.’ Production at this time was also moved to U.S.A. It is the original Viennese output that commands the highest prices today.