The Maling family founded a pottery in 1762 in North Hylton near the town of Sunderland, England manufacturing both decorative and plain earthenware. In 1853 the name of the Maling Pottery was changed to C.T. Maling and in 1854 was taken over by Ford Co at the Ford Potteries, Newcastle-on-Tyne.
Art Deco output during the 1920's and 1930's centred on the production of ornate floral lustre wares for home use, in the form of jugs, vases, bowls and wall pockets. The influence of the Art Nouveau movement was still prevalent in these patterns and the use of gilding was extensive in the Art Deco production. Some of the pieces at this time also used tubelining and relief techniques and pattern names such as Rosine, Coleus were applied to the designs. A range of art wares called 'Flight' was in production around 1938.
Also around the end of the nineteen thirties Maling produced druggist & hospital ware, photographic ware, domestic ware, a range of kitchenware named 'Evergreen' and white jars and foodstuff containers. Commemorative ware for the coronation of King Edward VIII was designed by Lucien Boullemier in the form of a plaque.