Myott Art Deco Pottery
Myott, Son & Co. Limited originally operated from the Alexander Pottery in Stoke, Staffordshire, in the North of England. It was a family run business producing earthenware from 1898. Run by two brothers, Ashley and Sydney Myott, the company soon had to expand to meet growing demand. They moved to the Brownfield’s Works in Cobridge, just North of Stoke-on-Trent and then extended the operation to the adjacent Upper Hanley Pottery in 1925.
Myott Cat Handle Jug (left) and Beaky (or Penguin) Jug (right)
With the growing success of competitor output, the company began to produce hand painted Art Deco wares, popularised by their varied ranges of vases and jugs. Many of these pieces survive today suggesting that production was extensive. Geometric shapes such as the fan and pyramid vase are highly sought after with brown and orange the dominant colours used in decoration.
Myott Wedge Vases (left) and Pentagonal Jug (right)
There were also a number of collaborations in the 1930’s, most notably with Goldscheider (an Austrian figure and wall mask producer) and B.A.G Co. Ltd (British American Glass). The Deco pieces on typical honey glazing of the period display the famous gold Myott crown mark on the base. White ware was produced for the Cunard shipping company with the provision of cubist style tea sets.
Myott Owl (or Sputnik) Vase (left) and Pillar Vase (right)
There was a fire at the factory in 1949 in which many of the office files were destroyed including vital pattern information. In 1969 Myott were taken over by an American corporation Interpace. 1976 saw the company merge with Alfred Meakin Limited and the name was then lost after the company was taken over by the Churchill Group.