Producing earthenware goods, the company of Wood & Sons Ltd. was established in 1865 by Thomas Francis Wood in the Staffordshire Potteries area of Burslem.
Harry Wood (an inspiration to ceramic designers Susie Cooper and Charlotte Rhead) joined the pottery in 1889. Frederick Rhead (Charlotte Rhead's father) became Art Director in 1912, with his daughter joining the company in 1926.
The Crown Works pottery was acquired in 1920 and the Ellgreave Works in 1921. Art Deco wares were produced under the tradename 'Bursley Ware' utilising the talents of designers such as Frederick and Charlotte Rhead, Susie Cooper and Dora Tennant.